If you want to use two Echo or more than that, you can convert those into an in-home intercom system. If you don’t have two echoes, you will still get advantages from this feature with the Alexa app for mobile. There are two methods— Drop-In method and an announcement method that you can use. You can do any of these two. Here is the complete guide- How to Use Alexa as an Intercom System.
We know Amazon Alexa as a virtual assistant AI technology. AI technology used in Amazon Echo smart speakers for the first time. You can make to-do lists, play audio books, set alarms by using it. Besides, it helps you know the updates of weather, traffic, sports, etc. As well, this assistant works as a home automation system by controlling smart devices.
How to Use Alexa as an Intercom
If you want to know how to use Alexa as an intercom, read this article thoroughly.
The process to set up Drop-In:
If you are a beginner, the Drop-In method may seem slightly different from a voice call. While you set up Drop-in, the person on the other side doesn’t need to answer. Hence, you will get connected automatically. As soon as you get the connection, it will work as an intercom system. Therefore, it enables you to hear everything happening near the speaker.
Both persons connected with the Echo show can see a frosted glass. But, it will happen when you Drop-In on an Echo Show.
When you are going to use Drop-In, you have to use one amazon Echo device, at least. And you need to use a smartphone also. Hence, you need to make sure that the Alexa app is installed on the smartphone. Moreover, the app allows you to initiate a Drop-In session. But, it doesn’t permit the users to receive a Drop-In call.
- Firstly, your job is to sign up for Alexa Calling and Messaging.
- Then, what you need to do is to open the Alexa app on your phone. It can support both Android or iOS devices.
- After that, you need to click on the Conversations icon.
- Next, you need to follow the on-screen prompts. Hence, the prompts want your first and last name and your phone number.
- But remember to enable Drop-In by default.While doing this, you have to make sure that it is on for a specific speaker. Now, you need to open the same app and then click on the hamburger icon. It is available on the top left of the menu.
- Then, you have to click on the settings. And then, choose the speaker from the list. If you’re going to restrict Drop In calls from within your household, click on the Drop-In option.
- At last, choose merely my household option.
However, Amazon won’t allow everyone to use Drop In for contacting permits with you. Instead, it helps you to enable Drop In for the particular contacts.
The process to enable Drop In for a contact:
Firstly, you need to open the app. And then, you have to open the Conversations tab.
- After that, what you need to do is to click on the contact icon. It is available on the top right of your screen.
- Next, your job is to choose the name that you want from your contact list.
- Now, you have to click on the toggle button. You can see this near the Contact option.
If you want to see each person you have permitted to use Drop In to Contact you, go to the Contacts menu again. And then, you have to choose yourself.
- After that, you can click on the Remove option. But it is when you don’t want to enable your contact to use Drop In with you.
- In case you prefer to stop the Drop-In option temporarily, you can enable Do Not Disturb.
Hence, If you want to use Drop-In, you only need to say ‘Alexa, drop in on ( contact name).’ However, the app also allows you to initiate a Drop-In session manually. Hence, you need to open the Conversations tab.
- As soon as you choose the contact which enables you to Drop-In, select the Drop-In option. You can get the option in the blue bar at the top portion. Now, click on the Contacts button. It is available in the upper right. At last, you have to choose a contact. And therefore, click on the Drop-In logo. You can see it beneath their name.
How to Use Alexa as an Intercom System Using Make an Announcement:
In case you don’t have any interest in a two-way conversation, then the Announce feature can come to your help. Hence, you will get a notification from the Alexa-enabled devices.
Then, you need to say, “Alexa, Announce.” As soon as you ask it, the app will let you know what you want to say. Then, you need to give your message to the app whatever you want. During the time, all the devices connected with your network play that message.
Conclusion: If you want to use the app as an Intercom, you can choose the Drop-In option. However, you can also try the announcement option. I hope you enjoyed our guide ‘How to Use Alexa as an Intercom System”.