While connecting an AV source like Sky TV, Blu-Ray player, or Xbox to your TV or display, a high-definition cable is the one which we generally use. But what will happen if the picture disappears or becomes worse? Hence, it is essential to know how to fix HDMI connection problems.
Why do HDMI Issues Happen?
The high-definition multimedia interface can help you to connect all devices with one high-definition wire for both audio and video. In this case, ensure that you have licensed the connected devices to communicate with each other through a standard known as HDCP.
The ability to detect and communicate media and devices is called the “HDMI handshake.” If it doesn’t work, connected devices can’t detect the HDCP encryption embedded in the high-definition signal. As a result, you cannot watch your movies or play video games.
Why is Your HDMI Port Not Working on Windows 11?
Several reasons exist why the port can’t work on Windows 11. Mostly, you can find a glitch with your graphics card. Therefore, you may prefer to check the drivers.
It can affect any computer. Multiple users say that it is not working on the laptop. A solid workaround might be a solution if drivers don’t create any issues, like using a specialized adapter.
But it is not the ultimate solution. It is because the USB to HDMI adapter doesn’t work sometimes. Therefore, it is essential to find the core cause of this issue.
These are a few significant issues how these can manifest:
- HDMI won’t work on a laptop
- In most cases, the TV fails to recognize your laptop
- High-definition audio won’t play
- Video is available, but audio won’t play
- The high-definition image is too big for the display. However, you can solve the issue by installing the recent graphics driver updates within minutes.
- High-definition video is choppy.
It occurs while you connect a second monitor via the technology. The primary issue with this high-definition technology is that audio or video is missing. Mostly, it happens for the incompatibility of the driver. However, we have given you some tips which you should try to fix the issue.
If no sound is there, any video is missing, or the port is not working on your computer, try these tips to refresh your audio and video drivers to learn how you can troubleshoot issues with the technology.
Top Tips of How to Fix HDMI Connection Problems:
These are a few tips letting you know how to troubleshoot HDMI connection problems.
- Ensure that no loose connection should exist on both the Source, or Display end of the high-definition wire.
- You can disconnect and reconnect the high-definition wire at each end.
- Ensure that your Source device, like DVD / BluRay player, is powered on.
- Change high-definition channel inputs on your display if any issue exists with the EDID or HDCP ‘handshake’.
- Have you found the wire faulty? If yes, then you should go with another one.
- You can try to change the resolution. Sometimes, your display might not support the resolution the Source is trying to offer.
- You can use an HDMI Repeater or Extender kit if the cable distance is longer than 10 meters.
What to Do While There is No Video Signal?
If you find the audio-video signal is creating issues, not working, or repeatedly dropping out, you don’t have to worry. For example, you might have a loose connection on the back of the AV source device or a common cabling issue. You can troubleshoot HDMI Connection Problems in this way.
1) Check Your HDMI Cables And Connections:
Ensure that you have put everything in the correct place and connected where it should be appropriately connected. Besides, you should ensure that you have turned on the Power to your source device. It might happen that you have not turned on the Power. As a result, no signal can pass through it.
2) Try Changing the HDMI Input:
You must know that the video signals offer more than the video and audio signals. It also comes with EDID (Extender Display Identification Data) and HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection). These extra signals offer better compatibility and security between your home entertainment / AV system devices.
But these extra communication signals between the devices must complete successful ‘handshakes .’If the handshake doesn’t meet, you can find the audio and video devices stopping to communicate with one another. As a result, the signal can fail or drop out repeatedly. If you change the high-definition channel from 1 to 2, it can fix the issue. After that, you can see your image on display.
How to Troubleshoot a Faulty HDMI Connection:
These are a few steps that can help you to learn how you should troubleshoot a Faulty HDMI Connection. As a result, it is possible to return to gaming or watching.
Check the Input Source:
Mostly, televisions come with an Input or Source button, using which you can switch between the different input ports of your television. Ensure that you set the Source on TV to the similar port to which you have connected the device. If anything fails, it will result in no HDMI signals or picture issues on the television. For instance, when you connect your PS4 to the port labeled HDMI1 on the television, you need to set the TV’s Source to HDMI1. First, confirm that you know which input you should select. In this case, it is better to look at the back side of television. After that, you should ensure the port you will use to connect your device.
Check The Output Of The Connected Device:
Whether you connect a Video output device, including a laptop, DVD, or Blu-ray player, to the television, it may happen the connected device does not output via an HDMI connection by default. That’s why checking if the output settings are set to HDMI is vital. Using home theatre systems with many input devices, including dedicated AV receivers, has become usual.
But if the attached device offers different video signals as output that your television can not detect, you can see a black display or no picture issues. That’s why it is essential to change the video output format of the connected device to eliminate the problem. If necessary, take the help of the instruction manual. You can contact the manufacturer of the device also. It can let you know how you should change the video output format of the media device.
Disconnect And Reconnect Your Devices:
Do you know how to fix the HDMI connection problem? Before that, you must know that your cable might stop working a few times of a poor connection on your TV/display. It can happen that you have not connected the high-definition cable firmly to the ports of your TV and the device. As you must want to be on the safer side, you should try to reconnect the cable accurately. In addition, if the cable is connected, but no image is available, or your television keeps losing the high-definition signal, you should try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the devices.
You are required to perform these steps we have mentioned below:
- First, your task is to power off the television and the connected device.
- After that, your job is to disconnect the wire from the high-definition Input terminal on the television.
- Next, you need to unplug your device’s wire from the Output terminal.
- Then, reconnect it firmly to your TV and the device. Ensure there should not be any loose connection. Otherwise, it can cause trouble.
- Now, your job is to Power on the television and the connected device. In addition, try to reverse the turn-on sequence of your devices. For instance, you should reverse the sequence if you Power on the television first, followed by the connected devices. Now, try to power on the secondary devices first and next your television. Again, it helps to remove the handshake issues.
Try to Use another HDMI Port:
Sometimes, you can find the HDMI port not working on the television for which you aren’t getting any signals. Have you displayed more than one HDMI port? If yes, then you should connect the high-definition cable through the other ports. If the high-definition cable works correctly, move to the earlier port and check if it works.
Are you encountering a similar issue? For example, is your HDMI port not working on a Windows 10 laptop? It is certainly wrong with that port. Hence, you should try to contact the manufacturer to solve the issue. But if it is not working even with the second port, go ahead to the next solution.
Turn OFF and ON Your Connected Devices:
An easy reset process can help you solve the television issue. For example, if you have connected the cable accurately but aren’t getting a signal, it will help you to solve the issue. In addition, powering off an electronic device completely and on can recover the device from an unresponsive state. For example, it might restart the set of configuration parameters of the device. You can try this solution because it is one of the simplest ways to solve the problem. Therefore, you should ensure not to skip the step.
- Firstly, switch off the television and the connected device like PS4, Roku, laptop, etc.
- After that, you should unplug the television and the device from the power source.
- Now, you should wait at least ten minutes to keep the Power off.
- Next, you should connect the television and the device to the power source.
- Then, Power on the attached device and television.
- Check whether your cable can perform or not. Whether you are not receiving any signal until now or the television keeps losing signal, check out other solutions.
Try a Different High-Definition Cable:
It is not that a cable can only break, bend, and be exposed. The reason is that the cable might get damaged internally. If you are using an old cable or the wire is not working accurately, you can experience such cable problems on the device. If you want to escape how to fix the HDMI cable not working problem, you can try to use a different high-definition cable. It helps to determine whether anything is wrong with the high-definition cable or your connected devices.
Try Connecting Your TV to a Different Device:
If you use a different high-definition cable that doesn’t work, it is better to check the device you try to connect with your TV. Thus, you can figure out which one is creating the real issue. Connecting a different streaming or gaming device to the television through a cable is possible and check if it can work for you. Whether the new device works with the TV, ensure that the earlier device was the culprit. Hence, you should go through the product manual. Besides, you can take help from the manufacturer of the device. But if the new one doesn’t work with television and you encounter cable problems on the TV, try the next solution.
Check If You Use The Correct High-Definition Cable:
Does any black display appear on your television while connecting it to your device? For example, suppose you have connected your 4K TV to a 4K streaming or gaming device with the help of a standard cable. Hence, you can see a black display or sparkles on the television. You can apply a similar rule to HDR, ARC, eARC, Dolby Vision, and other technologies.
Therefore, if your gaming device and television are compatible with eARC, ensure to use a cable that supports eARC. If you attach devices using an incompatible cable, it can cause problems. Communications between devices using different high-definition multimedia interface standards are the reasons for handshake problems. It is a major and overlooked reason the cable is not working on a television.
All high-definition cables are not similar. Remember, every cable is designed to handle various resolutions and can provide different bandwidths. For instance, a standard cable is suitable for 720p or 1080i resolutions. In addition, it can provide a bandwidth of up to 4.95Gbps.
While an Ultra High-Speed High-definition multimedia interface can handle up to 8K resolutions, these can support a bandwidth of up to 48Gbps. In addition, different versions exist between the Standard and Ultra High-Speed high-definition cables.
Ensure that you use the proper high-definition cable with your TV. Whether you use an incompatible high-definition cable, remember that nothing can help you to solve the problem on the television or any other display. Instead, try the following solution as soon as you confirm that you are encountering problems while using a compatible high-definition cable to connect to the display.
Check if you’re High-Definition Cable is Damaged:
Have you found your television losing the signal or not working on your television as displaying a black display? If yes, then ensure that you should use a functional cable. You should check the cable for any visible signs of damage like exposed wires, cuts, or bends. Sometimes, these cables do not come with a sturdy build. Therefore, if you over-bend the cable, it can cause potential damage.
- You can find it faulty also. If it is the case, you should interchange it with a different cable or get yourself a new one.
- Along with checking the cable, ensure to check the ports of your TV and connected device. If you find the port broken or damaged, it can cause connection issues.
- If it is faulty, try to use other high-definition ports on your display. You can see any professional help. If the device is under warranty, repair it or replace it.
Check The Resolution Of Your Source Device:
Most televisions can adapt any resolution within their capabilities. If you connect a laptop or PC to the television and after connecting, you are experiencing connection issues on the TV. Your television might not support the resolution set on the laptop. In this case, try to manage the display resolution of the output device. Ensure to change the video resolution to match the built-in TV’s resolution. For instance, it is possible to set the resolution to 1080p or 4K, but it relies on the higher resolutions supported by television. If necessary, take the help of an instruction manual to change the device resolution.
Use an AV Receiver:
Have you attached an AV receiver with your TV and the gaming/streaming device? If yes, you should check the specifications of the AV receiver. You might not use a compatible device in your setup. As an illustration of compatible devices, you can use a soundbar, an audio receiver, or other devices. If you connect many devices and are willing to stream 4K content on your 4K TV, ensure all devices should support 4K resolutions. Suppose you have connected an AV receiver to a 4K TV and a 4K streaming device. In this case, ensure that the AV receiver is compatible with 4K. Otherwise, it may be the underlying cause of not getting signals.
Hence, you may think the cable is not working on the television, but the AV receiver is actually creating the problem. It is possible to remove or change the settings of the AV receiver. Next, check if the cable is working on the television.
Check for Firmware Updates:
When you use a smart TV, you should try to keep it updated with modern firmware for a better user experience. Smart televisions receive software updates repeatedly for improvements, security enhancements, new features, or fix bugs.
Keep the software updated as it doesn’t depend on your TV. It is possible to update the Smart TV over the internet or with the help of a USB flash drive. In addition, it is possible to update it manually or set it to Auto-update.
Factory Reset your TV:
While none can help you solve the problem on TV, try to reset your regular or Smart TV to solve any glitches that cause trouble with your TV’s normal functioning. You should note that doing a factory reset can help you resort to your TV to its original settings. In this case, it helps to remove all customer settings in your TVs like channels, apps, and wireless network settings. Remember, the process varies from manufacturer to many factors. We have discussed the general settings here.
- First, disconnect the TV wire from the power source for one minute.
- Then, connect it again to the power outlet.
- When you see the television not starting automatically, hit the POWER button to power ON it.
- Now, you must wait forty seconds and allow the television to begin.
- Press the UP ARROW button on the TV’s remote control. Ensure you point the remote directly towards the center and front of the television.
- Now, you need to hold the UP ARROW button, and along with this, tap & hold the POWER button on the television. You should continue doing this until the Reset option is available on display. Then, the television will power off and back on again.
- Next, your job is to release the UP Arrow button. If you have performed the above steps correctly, the initial setup screen will appear in front of you. Otherwise, you may need to repeat steps 1 to 6.
- Go through the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
- If the reset process is not done successfully, unplug all devices from the TV. After that, you should turn off the network connection. Now, repeat the process.
- As soon as you complete the procedure, you should check if it can solve the problem on your TV.
Contact Technical Support:
Whether you have tried everything, even the Factory Reset option, but the port is not functioning on the television, you should take help from the technical team. For example, your television might need a repair service. In this case, try not to solve the problem yourself; allowing the professionals to do it is better.
- First, you should ensure that you use your high-definition multimedia interface device as default.
- After that, you should tap on the volume icon on the taskbar.
- Next, your job is to choose Playback devices and in the newly open Playback tab, choose Digital Output Device or HDMI.
- Then, you need to choose Set Default and tap on OK.
- After that, the High-definition sound output is set as default.
- Remember that if you have not set the device as default, the port will also not work on the monitor. Therefore, ensure that the Show disconnected devices option is enabled. It helps your computer to display all devices attached to it.
Update Your Drivers:
How to fix the HDMI port not working on the PC? Installing the updated drivers can help you to get rid of the issue. Hence, all you need to be is to visit the graphics card or motherboard manufacturer’s website. After that, your task is to download the recent drivers.
It is possible to update the video and audio drivers with the help of the Device Manager. After that, you should tap on the drive you are willing to update and choose Update Driver. After that, you should download the drivers from the laptop manufacturer if you use a laptop.
In addition, you need to know old drivers perform better. Therefore, if the recent drivers don’t work, you can try the following steps from the earlier solution to uninstall them. After that, you should download the old version of the drivers.
Using an Advanced Tool:
If your drivers are out-of-date, it can cause ports not to function accurately. Hence, you must update your device. It is advised to do by using professional software. Mostly, the system does not update generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals. Remember that significant differences exist between generic and manufacturer drivers. Therefore, finding the correct driver version for each hardware component might be tedious. In this case, you should take help from an automated assistant to find your system and update it with the proper drivers every time. You can try a third-party tool. It is how to fix the HDMI port not working on the laptop with a tool.
- First, you should download a tool and install it.
- After that, your task is to launch the software.
- Now, your job is to wait for a while till the tool is not detecting all your faulty drivers.
- It will display all problematic drivers. Hence, you only have to choose those which you want to fix.
- Next, wait till the app is not downloading and installing the recent drivers.
- Reboot the computer for the changes to take effect.
- Remember that you should keep the computer components drivers working perfectly except putting the computer at risk. You must upgrade the program from the free version to perform a few specific actions.
Rollback to the Older Driver:
- Go to the Device Manager and open it. Then, look for the buggy driver.
- After that, you should tap on it and select Uninstall.
- Now, you should check to Delete the driver software for the device. Then, tap on OK.
- Reboot the PC after that.
- You can use your default driver to avoid compatibility problems. However, you must uninstall the current driver if you are willing to use the default driver. Remember that the default one can install itself.
- After opening the Device Manager, you should look for the driver generating the problem. Generally, an exclamation mark is a reason behind the problem.
- After that, tap on it and choose the Rollback driver option. It helps to install the earlier version of the driver.
- If you use Windows 10, your job is to tap on Properties. Next, move to the Driver tab to find the Rollback option. Usually, it is greyed out.
Install Drivers In Compatibility Mode:
- Tap on the driver setup file and select Properties.
- After that, head toward the Compatibility tab.
- Then, you should check to run the program in compatibility mode and select Windows 7 from the list.
- Tap on Apply and OK.
- Next, you should run the setup file.
If your Windows 10 is still facing problems with drivers, it is better not to install them in compatibility mode.
- Navigate to Settings, and tap on Update.
- Then, your job is to access the option Troubleshoot.
- Choose the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter below the Find and fix other problems section. After that, you should run the tool.
- If you are willing, you can run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. You can try this solution if the Troubleshooter stops before completing the procedure.
Set Your Secondary Display:
- Go to the Nvidia Control Panel and open it.
- Then, head toward Set up multiple displays.
- You might not see the HDMI-connected display. If it is the case, you should try to check and uncheck others on the list.
- Whether you use a high-definition multimedia interface to connect a second display to the computer, set it over in NVIDIA’s Control Panel. But you should use its Control Panel whether you use an AMD graphics card. Remember that the procedure is similar for both cards.
- It sounds like an obscure solution. But according to a few users, it enables the high-definition display.
Run a Full System Scan:
- Navigate to Start, and write defender after that. Then, tap two times on the Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- You should choose the shield icon when you are in the left-hand pane.
- Tap on the Advanced scan option in the new window.
- Now, you should check the full scan option for launching a complete malware scan.
Malware can be one of the reasons why you are facing the how-to-fix HDMI not working problem. In this case, you should try to perform a full system scan to detect any malware running on the PC. If necessary, take the help of Windows’ built-in antivirus or Windows Defender. You can go with a third-party antivirus solution supporting your Windows 10 PC.
Performing the solutions with multi-layer protection can offer safety against viruses.
On the other hand, monitoring your activity will provide real-time diagnostics of any possible damage. In recent times, any antivirus solution using behavior analysis techniques for installed software and programs doesn’t leave any room for malware invasion.
Repair Your Registry:
- Navigate to Start, and write cmd. Then, tap on Command Prompt and choose Run as Admin.
- Write the command below:
- Now, wait till the scanning method is not completing. After that, you should reboot the PC.
- You can find all corrupted files interchanged on reboot. As soon as the method finishes, check if the connection is available.
- If necessary, use Microsoft’s System File Checker to ensure if the system file is corrupted. The tool lets you know about the integrity of all protected system files. Depending on the problems, you should repair files with issues while possible.
Update Your OS:
Do you know how to fix the HDMI connection problem in the laptop? First, ensure that you have the most updated Windows OS on the device. Microsoft rolls out Windows updates repeatedly to improve the system’s stability and solve different problems.
Write an update on the search box to access the Windows Update section. After that, move to the Windows Update section. Then, you should check if any updates remain that you can install.
Clean Your Temporary Files And Folders:
- Move to Start, and write Disk Cleanup. After that, you should launch the tool.
- Choose Clean up system files in Disk Cleanup’s description section. Then, you should choose the drive you want to clean up and tap on OK.
- While on the Disk Cleanup tab, you should choose the checkboxes for the file types you are willing to delete. After that, hit OK and select Delete files.
- Using Disk Cleanup is the easiest way to delete temporary files and folders. However, using the PC or browsing the web allows you to accumulate different unnecessary files.
- The well-known junk files can affect the computer’s processing speed. As a result, apps can respond slowly and might trigger high-definition audio and video problems.
Remove Recently Installed Software:
- Navigate to Start and write Control Panel.
- Next, your job is to choose the currently added program.
- Tap on Uninstall.
- Whether you have installed new software on the PC, you should try to uninstall it. Newly installed software can trigger compatibility problems and get rid of connection problems. However, remember that it may be why the port is not working. Therefore, it is better to reboot the device and check if the problem got solved. Thus, you can learn how to fix the HDMI connection problem in Windows 10.
Run System Restore:
- Navigate to Settings and tap on the Update & Security section. Next, tap on Recovery under the left pane.
- Tap the Get Started option under Reset this PC to keep the files.
- Next, go through the on-screen instructions to complete the reset.
You can get an advanced recovery option for Windows 10 because these can provide many advanced recovery options. For example, it can enable you to clean and install the OS. Use the ‘Reset this PC’ recovery option for Windows 10.
If it begins recently, you should run System Restore. But if the problem occurs after installing new software on the pc, the tool helps to remove the currently added apps and programs. In addition, the System Restore option enables you to restore the system configuration, and you don’t need to lose any files except for some customizable features and settings.
How to Troubleshoot a Faulty HDMI Connection with a Laptop or Computer:
If you want to use a laptop as a source, ensure the PC settings designate HDMI as the default output connection. Whether you are unable to get a picture from your laptop to appear on your TV screen, go with these steps:
- First, start the PC connecting the cable to a tv that is already on.
- Then, start the computer when you have turned off the tv. Next, you should enable the television.
- You should enable the television before connecting the high-definition cable.
- Whether your television has a Video Graphics Array (VGA) input, use it rather than a High-definition multimedia interface.
How to Troubleshoot a Faulty HDMI Connection With Wireless high-definition multimedia interface:
Wireless devices need an external transmitter to transmit audio/video signals to a receiver wirelessly. Therefore, it can cause connectivity issues.
WHDI and Wireless HD (WiHD) are the two major “wireless HDMI” formats. These can easily connect these devices without a cable. Go through the steps if you want to connect a wireless device:
- You should change the position and distance of wireless devices. Like Wi-Fi, a successful wireless connection relies on minimal distance, a clear line-of-site, and limited interference. But regarding long distances, you should consider extra connection options.
- You can try various turn-on sequences.
- You need to check the specifications and compatibility of the product with any wireless device. Brand, model, and industry standards come with plenty of technical differences.
It might happen that you haven’t encountered any faulty high-definition multimedia interface connections. But sometimes, you may run into an issue. Then, you should try the above solutions before making phone calls, packing up everything, or returning to the store upset. You can take help from a Digital support team.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do you connect a laptop to your TV via a high-definition multimedia interface?
You should attach one end of the cable to the television while the other is to your computer. Ensure that you should change the HDMI-In Source on the TV to match the used ports. In this case, use a specific high-definition multimedia interface adaptor for the PC.
- How do you connect your TV to a set-top box using a high-definition multimedia interface?
Use a high-definition cable to connect your television to a set-top box. After that, your job is to switch the input on the TV to the high-definition multimedia interface port. Unfortunately, a few HDTVs don’t allow you to choose the port until you’ve made a connection.
- How do you use an HDMI switch box?
If you are willing to install a switch box, you should attach each device to the inputs on the switch box using wires. Next, connect the TV to the high-definition output on the switch box.